How to get rid of UTI at home? Are you feeling extreme inflammation while peeing? It may be because you have Urinary Tract Infection. The Urinary System consists of four parts kidney, ureters, bladder, and urethra. Kidneys, filter waste from the blood to produce urine. Ureters carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder.
The bladder holds urine until you feel like peeing. The urethra carries urine out of the bladder when you pee. One should know that taking an antibiotic isn’t the only way to cure symptoms of a urinary tract infection. There are some natural UTI home remedies, which help you to cure Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) without antibiotics.
What is Urinary Tract Infection or UTI?
Infection in any part of the urinary system such as infection in the kidney, ureters, bladder, and urethra is known as Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). This disease happens when E. coli bacteria from the colon area invade part of your urinary tract.
This yeast infection in the urinary system is normally caused by microbes such as bacteria in the urinary tract. They can badly affect the kidneys, bladder, and the tubes that run between them.
The urinary system can be divided into two parts, the upper urinary tract, and the lower urinary tract. Where the upper urinary tract consists of the kidneys and the ureters, and the lower urinary tract consists of the bladder and the urethra.
There are mainly three types of infection which depend on the parts it happened.
- Bladder infection – cystitis
- Urethra infection – urethritis
- Kidney infection – pyelonephritis
Approximately, 8 million people visit the doctor every year because of UTI. This Infection can happen to anyone but it affects a woman. If you are a woman then you are 50% more at risk than a man.
Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection
- A burning sensation during urination
- A frequent or intense urge to urinate
- Pain in your back or lower abdomen
- Cloudy and Dark urine
- Blood in urine
- Strange-smelling urine
- Feeling tired or shaky
- Fever or Chills
- Pelvic pain, in women
- Nausea and vomiting
Must Read: How to get rid of Frequent Urination
What Are The Causes of Bladder infection and UTI?
Mainly UTI is caused by the bacterium Escherichia coli (E. coli), which is found in the digestive system. Chlamydia and Mycoplasma bacteria can infect the urethra but not the bladder and other causes include:
- Poor personal hygiene
- Sexual intercourse
- Problems emptying the bladder completely
- Bowel incontinence
- The blocked flow of urine
- Kidney stones
- Some forms of contraception
- Suppressed immune system
- Immobility for a long period
- Use of spermicides and tampons
- Excessive use of antibiotics
10 Effective Home Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
UTI is not a serious problem most of the time and your kitchen may have all the natural remedies you need for treatment. For instant relief from Urinary Tract Infection, follow below home remedies:
Cranberry contains A2-type proanthocyanidins (PACs), which help to prevent bacteria in the urethra and treat a bladder infection. Note: If you are suffering from kidney stones don’t take this remedy.
- Drink one glass juice of cranberry daily until you get relief from UTI.
- Alternatively, you can take cranberry capsules, which reduced the risk of urinary tract infections by 50 percent in women.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the perfect home remedies for UTI treatment without antibiotics. It prevents bacteria to grow in the urinary tract.
- Take two teaspoons of ACV and mix in one glass of water.
- Drink this mixture once a day for 3-4 days.
- For taste, you can add lemon juice or honey to it.
Eating fresh blueberries or juice is a good way to get rid of UTIs. According to the University Of Maryland Medical Center, blueberries help to prevent urinary tract infections.
It contains vitamin C and proanthocyanidins, which prevent bacteria from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract.
- Drink one glass juice of blueberry juice twice a day.
- Eat one bowl of blueberries daily or you can add blueberries to your daily meal.
One of the simplest and perfect natural ways for UTI home treatment. Drinking more and more water helps to flush out bacteria and reduce UTI inflammation. So, how much water should you drink? It depends on your size if your weight is 140 pounds that mean you should drink 70 oz of water a day.
Urinate more often
It may sound absurd but going to pee, again and again, help you to get relief. Even if it’s just a small amount go for it, you rid it of some of the bacteria causing the infection.
If you hold it in the bladder, you increase the chance that bacteria will grow and multiply, which causes a bladder infection. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable, but peeing whenever you feel is a good way to cure UTI.
Don’t drink soda that contains sugar. Baking soda has alkaline properties which help to neutralize the acidity in urine. Drinking baking soda can reduce inflammation very quickly.
- Take one teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with one glass of water.
- Drink twice a day or whenever you feel inflammation.
Another useful natural remedy for UTI home treatment. Celery seeds or oil contain butylphthalide and due to this its works as a diuretic.
- Eating a handful of celery seeds just after a meal helps to prevent yeast infection.
Cucumber contains a high amount of water that helps to flush out bacteria. You can take it as a snack or salad.
Hot water Pad
Hot water compresses will help to reduce bladder pressure and give you relief from pain caused by the infection. It stops the growth of bacteria and decrees inflammation.
- Keep a hot water pad on your lower abdomen for a few minutes to get relief from the pain.
Pineapples are not only tasty but also help to remove bacteria from the bladder. It contains a Bromelain enzyme, which has anti-inflammatory properties that may reduce inflammation.
- Take one bowl one fresh pineapple twice a day or you can drink pineapple juice to prevent UTI.
2 Effective Ayurvedic Medicine & Remedies for UTI
- Spinach leaves and carrots: Take a handful of chopped spinach leaves, and one bowl of sliced carrots and add both to a half-liter of water. Boil it for 15=20 minutes and strain the water. Make soup from boiled vegetables and have it twice a day. You can add salt and pepper for taste.
- Divya Chandraprabha Vati: This is one of the Baba Ramdev ayurvedic herbal medicine for UTI treatment. It helps in reducing and eliminating all the signs and symptoms associated with urinary tract infections. It is mainly prepared by using traditional ayurvedic herbs to fight against UTIs.
How does a woman get a urinary tract infection or UTI?
Women are more at risk maybe because they have shorter urethras, which allow bacteria quick access to the bladder. Having sex can introduce bacteria into the urinary tract and increase the chance of getting a UTI.
Most of the time this health problem is not serious, but sometimes it could lead you to a serious problem by damaging your kidney, particularly if septicemia (bacteria entering the bloodstream) occurs. Because of UTIs, women can deliver low birth weight or premature infants.
UTI is a disease that can reoccur very easily, so to prevent reoccurring follow the below tips.
- Take more fluids: Drink more water and other fruit juice but avoid caffeine and alcohol, which can irritate the bladder.
- Constipation: Try to avoid constipation because it increases your chances of getting a UTI again and again.
- Sex: Be careful when you have sexual intercourse. Women are more at risk because sexual intercourse introduces bacteria into a woman’s urinary tract easily. Washing your genital area both before and after sexual intercourse is the perfect way to prevent UTI.
- Dry and clean clothing: Don’t wear very tight undergarments. Go for loose-fitting and cotton clothes, which allow a woman’s private part to remain dry preventing bacteria growth.
- Prevention of UTI in Women: Never forget to wipe from the front to the back after using the bathroom. Never wipe twice with the same tissue and wipe front to back not back to front after a bowel movement. It is important because it helps prevent bacteria from the anus from entering the vagina or urethra. Take showers to avoid bathtubs.