What is water weight? It is just increasing in weight due to water retention by the body. As 50-60% of our body is liquid so sudden increase or decrease in weight depends on water retention. Water weight can occur because of many reasons including your diet, your lifestyle, or some underlying health condition, etc.
Mainly this fluid is stored between the organs and the skin of your body. You can see a sudden change in your belly size it might occur because of water retention. While this is not a serious issue but it is very annoying and makes you look fat. Many people use supplements and medication to lose water weight but you can get rid of water weight easily with home remedies. Natural remedies are safer and more effective.
- 1 What are the Causes of Water Weight?
- 2 10 Home Remedies to Lose Water Weight Fast
- 3 Closing Thoughts
What are the Causes of Water Weight?
Water weight normally occurs at the abdomen, hips, legs, and neck. It can increase or reduce your weight by 2-5 kg in a single day. There are many causes for water weight which include.
- Diet- Eating a high sodium diet and sugary food can lead to water retention. Food with high carbs also increases water retention in the body.
- Lifestyle- If your job required you to sit or stand more and you don’t do physical activity. This will lead to less fluid flow in your body and an increase in water weight.
- Medications – Water weight can be a side effect of certain medications.
- Hormone Change- Women are more likely to retain more water in their bodies compared to men. The main reason for water retention in women’s bodies is hormone change.
- Dehydration- One of the major reasons for water weight is drinking less water. The human body has a tendency to retain water to prevent severe dehydration.
- Home Remedies for Water Weight
Read: How to Reduce Fat from Face
10 Home Remedies to Lose Water Weight Fast
Water weight can increase your weight by 2-5 kg in a day. As some medications and diseases can cause water retention so consult with your doctor first if you are on medication before going for home remedies.
If the cause for your water weight is not medication then you can reduce your water weight with home remedies to a large extent.
Drink Plenty of Water
One of the major reasons for water retention is drinking less amount of water. If your body doesn’t get enough water it will automatically start storing water and lead to water weight. So drink plenty of water to lose water weight.
Drinking 4-5 litres of water in a day can reduce your water weight within a week. The amount of water required by our body depends on total body weight. For example, if your weight is 60 kg then you should drink a minimum of 3-liter water in a day.
Cabbage juice is a wonderful home remedy to lose water weight in 10 days. It helps to break the fat present in our body and helps to maintain the water level. Cabbage is a very rich dietary fiber that helps to reduce water retention.
- Take half a glass of cabbage juice and mix it with water.
- If you don’t like the taste then add black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- The perfect time to take this remedy is before taking your meal.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for 7-10 days for significant change.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a widely used natural ingredient to treat many health issues such as urine retention, gastric problems, regulating the menstrual cycle, etc. This remedy also helps to reduce water weight overnight due to its diuretic properties. It also helps to maintain the potassium levels in the body.
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in warm or normal water.
- Drink this remedy before or along with your lunch or dinner.
- Do not drink raw apple cider vinegar directly.
Cinnamon Tea is a very effective home remedy to lose water weight overnight. It helps to burn fat and maintain blood sugar levels in the body.
- Take 250 ml water and add one cinnamon stick of one tablespoon of cinnamon powder.
- Now boil this mixture for 10 minutes. Strain the mixture and add one tablespoon of honey to it.
- Drink this herbal tea twice a day. The perfect time to drink this tea is before going to bed.
Rose Petal Water
Rose water is normally used to enhance skin tone or in beauty products but it is also an effective home remedy to lose water weight in a day. This remedy helps to maintain the water level in the body.
- Take a handful of rose petals. Boil them in distilled water for 20 minutes or until they lose their color. Now strain the mixture and drink a half glass of mixture empty stomach in the morning.
- Repeat this remedy until you get rid of water retention.
Drinking parsley herbal tea is a great way to reduce water weight in 3 days. This herbal tea is also a good alternative to coffee which helps to keep you energetic. It also contains antioxidant which helps to detoxify your body.
- Drink this natural herbal tea 3 times a day to remove water weight.
- It also prevents your body from dehydration.
Dandelion and Peppermint Tea
Dandelion tea is a good remedy for urine retention and it also helps to get rid of water retention in the body fast. Drinking dandelion and peppermint tea help to detoxify your body and improve your metabolism.
- Take 250 ml of boiling water and add one teaspoon of each dandelion and peppermint leaf.
- Now covered the bowl and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain this mixture and you can add lemon for taste (lemon is optional).
- Repeat this remedy twice a day until you get rid of water retention.
Sleep More and More
If you are an insomniac then you are more at risk to have water weight. You should sleep at least 7-8 hours to get rid of water rid. Sleeping 6 hours or less can cause you to gain water weight.
Sleeping for more than 7 hours helps to keep your body active the whole day and it also helps to reduce stress and uplift your mood.
Another simple home remedy for water weight in the body. Tomato contains vitamin c, iron, and calcium which help to the main water level in the body.
- Drink 2 glasses of tomato juice a day until you lose the water weight.
Reduce Physical & Emotional Stress
Many people are not aware that physical and emotional stress helps to increase water weight and fat in the body. If you are stressed then your body releases a hormone known as cortisol which helps to increase fat and water weight in the body.
So try to motivate yourself every time you feel stressed. You can also watch a comedy show or movies, meditation, go jogging in the morning, yoga, etc. to reduce stress.
You can avoid water weight by doing a small change in your lifestyle and diet.
- Regular cardiac exercises help to prevent water weight.
- Go for a morning walk or jogging.
- Avoid coffee and alcohol.
- Do consume too much sugary food.
- Try simple acupressure to increase water flow in the body.
- Consume more herbs such as ginger, fennel, garlic, etc.
- Drink green tea instead of coffee.
- Eat one apply daily in the morning.
- Add cucumber salad to your diet.
- Avoid high-carbohydrate food. Take a low-carbohydrate diet.
- Consume less amount of salt to Prevent Water Weight.