How to get rid of body odor? Do you ever feel embarrassed at work, college, or school because of bad body odor? It happens to most of us and this is not a good situation to be in. It is a natural process and many people face this problem very often. To smell nice you have to spend so much on deodorants and perfumes. But there are some natural and simple ways to get rid of body odor or armpit smell.
Sweat is odorless in fact but the presence of bacteria helps to break down sweat into acid and produce body odor. Body odor mainly occurs in the armpits, feet, pubic hair, and genitals. Apart from these parts body odor can also occur at the belly button, anus, etc.
Every person in this world has a unique body odor and two types of acid cause body odor-
- Propionic Acid
- Isovaleric Acid
What Causes Body Odor or Underarm Armpit Smell?
- Excessive sweating
- Being Overweight
- Eating Spicy Food
- Drinking alcohol
- Some medical condition
- Some medications
10 Proven Home Remedies to Get Rid of Body Odor
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful home remedy to cure body odor without deodorant. Due to its antibacterial properties, apple cider vinegar kills the bacteria present on the skin. It helps to decrease the pH level on the skin and helps to get rid of body odor and underarm smell.
- Take some apple cider vinegar and apply on your underarm with the help of a cotton ball.
- Leave it there for 5 minutes then wash it off with water.
- You can also wash your underarm area while having a bath.
- Read: How to Get Rid of Bad Breath
2. Witch Hazel
Excessive sweat helps to increase the pH levels of the skin which encourages bacteria production. Witch hazel helps to decrease the pH level which makes it very difficult for bacteria to survive.
Fewer bacteria mean less bad smell from underarms and other parts of the body. The antibacterial properties of witch hazel make it a good home remedy to get rid of body odor.
- Take witch hazel and a cotton ball. Apply this remedy on your underarms, groin or another part where excessive sweating occurs with the help of a cotton ball.
- You can also use deodorant after applying witch hazel but first, let it dry completely.
3. Lemon Juice
Another wonderful remedy is to kill bacteria that produce bad body odor. Lemon also helps to lower the pH level and makes it difficult for bacteria to survive. Make sure you don’t use lemon just after shaving your hair.
- Take one lemon and apply it directly to your underarms.
- You can extract the juice from the lemon and then apply it with the help of a cotton ball.
- If you have mild body odor you can dilute lemon juice with water.
Watch: Natural Ways to Stop Farting
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a very effective home remedy for body odor treatment at home. For people who suffer from excessive sweating and also have body odor, baking soda is a wonderful remedy.
It helps to absorb sweat and kills bacteria. You can use baking soda with lemon juice and it works as a natural deodorant for body odor.
- Extract juice from one fresh lemon and baking soda, and make a fine paste by mixing them.
- Before going for a bath, apply this natural remedy to your armpit and other body parts where you feel excessive sweating is happening.
- Let it be there for 5- 10 minutes and then wash it off with water. Use this remedy 3-4 times a week before having a bath.
- You can apply a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch on your underarms after taking bath.
- But make sure you completely dry your underarms and other parts of the body before using this remedy.
Rosemary is another home remedy to kill bacteria that produce bad body odor. Due to the presence of menthol and chlorophyll in rosemary, it works as a natural body deodorant.
- Take ½ cup of dried leaves of rosemary and add to 4-5 cups of boiling water. Let steep for 10-15 minutes. Let it cool down and mix it with your bathwater.
- Take bath with this water and for better results soak yourself for 15 minutes in this water. Take a rosemary bath daily to smell nice and prevent bad body odor.
- Rosemary essential oil is another good home remedy to get rid of armpit odor without deodorant. Apply essential oil with a cotton ball on your underarms.
Another remedy can solve your excessive sweating problem and prevent you from smelling bad. Sage has antibacterial properties which help to kill bacteria and stop underarm odor and wetness.
- To make the natural deodorant home you need essential oil of sage, coriander, lavender, and witch hazel.
- Take 5 drops of each oil and 50 grams of witch hazel. Mix them well and keep it in a spray bottle. Use this remedy as a homemade deodorant.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help to kill bacteria. It also has a pleasant smell which reduces body odor. If your skin is sensitive to tea tree oil then you can use tea tree oil.
- Take 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil and mix with 2 tablespoons of water. Apply this mixture to your underarms to avoid body odor.
This remedy contains chlorophyll which can prevent body odor. It has a very irritating taste so you should start with a very small quantity.
- Take two teaspoons of wheatgrass juice and mix with one glass of water. Drink this remedy in the morning before having anything.
9. Homemade Deodorant Powder
You can make herbal powder at home which will prevent you from sweating and also reduce the bad smell from the body.
- To make this powder you need two tablespoons of sandalwood powder, one teaspoon powder of white oak bark, and one teaspoon powder of Lovage root.
- With the help of a grinder or blender mix all this powder well and toast the powder a little using a pan. Then keep this powder in a dry pouch or muslin bag. Apply this powder on your underarms and excessive sweating part of the body.
10. Liquid Alum
If you don’t want to use a smelling deodorant then use this smell-less remedy to get rid of body odor permanently. To make unscented deodorant, alum is the perfect natural herb.
- Take 4 teaspoons of alum powder, 2 teaspoons of baking soda, and 250 ml of rubbing alcohol.
- Mix them well and keep them in a spray bottle.
- Use this natural deodorant whenever you have a bad odor.
Your food habits are also responsible for your body odor. Follow diet and tips to prevent underarm smell.
- Drink water as much as you can.
- Eat food that contains protein and fiber.
- Avoid eating too much-fried meat. Do not eat food that is hard to digest.
- Don’t consume tobacco because it causes bad body odor.