How to cure acidity naturally? What is acidity? It is a very common health problem nowadays. Acidity happens because of the excessive production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach. It is a symptom of acid reflux or Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), a more severe form of acid reflux.
Heartburn is a very common symptom of acidity. The acidity mainly occurs because of spicy food, or lack of physical activity, or stress. This is not a very serious problem if it’s not happening more than once a week.
If acidity is happening more than twice a week you need medical attention. You can also take the below effective Home remedies to cure Acidity naturally and permanently.
What causes acidity and why it happens?
Your stomach produces gastric or hydrochloric acid (HCl) to help digestion. Acidity issues arise when there is excess acid production due to acidic foods, alcohol, dehydration, and stress. Below is the very common reason behind acidity.
- Spicy food
- Non-vegetarian food
- Consumption of alcohol and Smoking
- Underlying medical conditions like stomach ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), stomach tumors, etc.
- Certain medications can cause acidity or heartburn.
- Being overweight is also could be one of the causes of acidity.
- Carbonated drinks, coffee, or tea
- A pregnant woman is more at risk to get acidity or heartburn.
- Irregular eating habits
- Lack of physical activity
- Food or snacks just before bedtime.
Must Read: How to get rid of Heartburn
What are the symptoms of acidity?
Below are the common signs and symptoms of acidity –
- Burning in the stomach and throat
- Stomach ache
- Bad breath
- Bloody or black stools or bloody vomiting
- A sour or bitter-tasting acid backing up into your throat or mouth.
10 Effective Home Remedies To Cure Acidity Instantly
Buttermilk is a simple and very effective home remedy to cure acidity. It contains lactic acid which helps to neutralize excessive acid in the stomach. Buttermilk is also a good remedy to cure constipation and improve the digestive system.
- You can drink plain buttermilk 3-4 times a day until you get relief. Add a little black pepper to it or one teaspoon of ground coriander leaves for perfect results.
- Make a paste of water and one teaspoon of crushed fenugreek seeds. Add this paste to one glass of buttermilk. Drink this home remedy 2-3 times a day to get quick relief from acidity.
Baking soda is good medicine to control acidity. It has a pH level of more than 7 which helps to neutralize the acid in the stomach.
- Take one teaspoon of baking soda and mix with 250 ml of water. Drink this solution 2-3 times a day.
Aloe vera is an effective remedy to reduce inflammation caused by acidity. It also improves your digestion system and prevents acid reflux.
- Drink ½ cup of fresh aloe vera juice before meals.
Milk is another good home remedy for acidity control. It can help you to neutralize the acid in the stomach. Milk contains a high amount of acid which prevents acid build-up in the stomach.
- Drink one glass of cold milk to avoid acidity.
Fennel is a good natural herb that helps to get rid of acidity. Its carminative properties improve the digestive system of your body.
- Take one teaspoon of fennel seeds and steep them in a cup of hot water for a few minutes. Strain this solution and drink 2-3 times a day.
- You can also chew some aniseed after eating a heavy or spicy meal.
Also Read: Isabgol Digestion Benefits & Side Effects
Ginger is a beneficial natural remedy for acidity treatment. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce heartburn. This also helps to neutralize stomach acids.
- Taking a teaspoon of ginger juice 3 times a day is a good remedy to stop acidity.
- You can also make ginger tea. Take fresh ginger slices and steep them in boiling water for a few minutes. Then strain this mixture and drink twice a day.
- You can also chew ginger if you are feeling acidity.
Basil leaves are the most effective ayurvedic remedy to cure acid at home. It has soothing and carminative properties that reduce inflammation and irritation and gives you instant relief from acidity.
- If you feel you got acidity, chew fresh basil leaves. It will provide you relief quickly.
- You can also make tea from basil leaves. Take a few leaves of basil and boil in one glass of water. Let it simmer for a few minutes and you can add honey for taste. Drink this basil tea 2-3 times a day.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful remedy to get rid of acidity. It has an alkalizing effect that helps to reduce the acid level in the body and also cures heartburn.
- Take one teaspoon of apple cider and mix it with 250 ml of water.
- Drink this mixture throughout the day.
Another good home remedy that you can easily find in your kitchen. Cloves are a good way to fight acidity. This herb helps to control acidity due to its carminative effect that increases hydrochloric acid in the stomach
- Take an equal amount of crushed cloves and cardamom, eat them, minimize acid trouble, and freshen bad breath.
- You can chew two to three cloves thoroughly.
Cumin seeds can also be used to cure acidity. This remedy works as a great acid neutralizer. Also, it improves digestion and relieves stomach pain.
- Take one teaspoon of cumin seeds and boil in one glass of water. Drink this solution after every meal to get rid of acidity.
- You can also take crushed and roasted cumin seeds. Mix cumin powder in a glass of water. Drink it after every meal for a few weeks to get rid of acidity.
- Another way to use this remedy is to mix one teaspoon each of coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, fennel seed powder, and some sugar in one-half cup of water.
- Drink it on an empty stomach in the morning for a better result.
How to Stop or Reduce Acidity? – Prevention tips
If you are suffering from heartburn follow the below tips to prevent heartburn.
- Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day.
- Avoid fried, spicy, or fatty foods.
- Drink less water or any other beverage while eating.
- Drink more water or fluid for the whole day.
- Keep the head of your bed higher than the foot of your bed.
- Place pillows under your shoulders to help prevent stomach acids from rising into your chest.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Do not wear tight-fitting clothes because they can increase the pressure on your stomach and abdomen.
- Have a glass of lukewarm water every day.
- Try not to get constipation.
- Do not eat heavily before going to bed.
- Jaggery, lemon, banana, almonds, and yogurt are great home remedies for acidity relief.
Effective Ayurvedic Medicine For Acidity In The Stomach
Amalaki Rasayan – It is a good ayurvedic medicine for acidity control. The Amalaki Rasayan contains a high source of vitamin C which is well known for its antioxidant activity. Amalaki Rasayana helps to balance the acid level in the body. Take 1-2 capsules once or twice daily for immediate relief from acidity.
Ayurvedic Remedies to Cure Acidity
- Divya Avipattikara Churna: This herbal remedy helps to cure acidity naturally. It is one of the perfect ayurvedic herbal remedies that provide immediate relief from acidity. It is useful in chronic cases of acidity like GERD.
- Divya Mukta Sukti Bhasm: This Baba Ramdev ayurvedic remedy is an important and traditional herbal remedy to treat acidity. Take this remedy every day to improve your digestive system and prevent acidity.
As we know today’s lifestyle is full of competition, hectic and time-consuming, and stressful, need for the perfect alternatives to take care of our bodies are required. The long use of chemical-driven drugs has some negative impacts on health.
It is well known and has been accepted that natural and ayurvedic remedy doesn’t impact your body. So, here we try to give you the perfect home remedies to cure acidity naturally. Your feedback is appreciated and comment below.