How to Cure a Hangover? A hangover is a group of unpleasant signs and side effects that can develop after heavy drinking. It is a very common rule: the more you drink, the more likely you will have a hangover the next day. But there’s no amount of alcohol to tell you how much you can safely drink and still avoid a hangover. There is no medicine to cure a hangover but with the help of home remedies, you can get rid of a hangover.
Maybe you’ve been to a family wedding or out for celebrating your birthday, bachelors/bachelorette parties, or even a promotion party.
Whatever the case, you drank, and now you’re hungover and scrolling through different sites, trying to find ways to cure this. Here’s an article to tell you how to cure hangovers home remedies help!
- 1 How Long Does a Hangover Last?
- 2 What are the causes of Hangover?
- 3 Hangover Signs and Symptoms
- 4 How To Cure a Hangover? – 10 Effective Home Remedies
How Long Does a Hangover Last?
A hangover normally can last for 24 hours. The very common side effects of drinking are migraine, feeling dazed, tired, confounded, sleepy, and thirst. It can happen anytime but most of it occurs in the morning. The main cause of hangover symptoms is dehydration. A hangover can also cause a lack of concentration, feeling irritability, and sensitivity to light.
What are the causes of Hangover?
A hangover occurs due to drinking heavy alcohol. However, some other factors may increase the chances of getting a hangover:
- Urination – While drinking you urge to go washroom more often. Excessive urination during drinking can cause dehydration.
- Immune System – Excessive drinking can affect your immune system and you feel inflammation. It may affect your appetite, concentration, and memory.
- Stomach Irritation – Drinking alcohol increases the acid level in the stomach and slows down acid consumption. The increase in acid level can cause vomiting, nausea, and stomach ache.
- Drop-in Blood Sugar – For some people, alcohol can cause a drop in blood sugar levels. It may result in shakiness, moodiness, tiredness, general weakness, and even seizures in some cases.
- Sleep Quality – After drinking, sleeping is very normal, but you may wake up tired and still sleepy.
- Widening of Veins – Alcohol consumption can expand your blood vessels which can result in a migraine.
- Congeners – These are substances that are produced during maturation and are responsible for most of the taste and aroma in distilled drinks.
Hangover Signs and Symptoms
A symptom is something the sufferer or patient feels and describes, such as feeling dehydration or a migraine. And a sign is something everybody, including the doctor or nurse, can detect, such as red eyes, or a rash.
The signs and symptoms of a hangover generally start to occur when blood alcohol drops drastically. Mostly it happens in the morning after a night of heavy alcohol consumption, and may include:
- Increased heartbeat
- Red eyes
- Body and muscle aches
- Halitosis (bad breath)
- Photophobia or sensitivity to light
- Lethargy, tiredness, fatigue, listlessness
- Problems focusing or concentrating
- Sensitivity to loud sounds
- Depression (dysphoria)
- Irritability, moodiness
- Trembling or shakiness, erratic motor functions
Sometimes sign and symptoms of heavy alcohol drinking could be very severe and dangerous. If you have any of the below symptoms please visit a doctor.
- Problem in breathing
- Confusion or stupor.
- Fits (seizures)
- Body temperature drops (Hypothermia)
- Loses consciousness
- The skin becomes pale or takes on a blue tinge.
- Continue vomiting
Read: How to Make Yourself Puke Safely
How To Cure a Hangover? – 10 Effective Home Remedies
How to get rid of a hangover fast? If you have a hangover and need to catch an urgent meeting or a date or family gathering. First, you should know that there is no medical treatment for a hangover. Although there are wonderful natural remedies that can cure a hangover
1. Lemon Drink
Lemon is a good natural remedy for a hangover. It helps to get rid of hangover symptoms like vomiting, dizziness, sensitivity to light and sound, and muscle pain. Lemon also helps you to keep hydrated and prevents dehydration.
- After drinking heavily the night first thing you should do in the morning is take one teaspoon of honey and 2 teaspoons of lemon.
- Mix lemon and honey in a glass of warm water. Drink this mixture in the morning and throughout the day.
Read: Home Remedies for Dry Mouth
2. Drink More Water
Dehydration is one of the main symptoms of a hangover and to prevent it you need to drink plenty of water. Water keeps your body hydrated and dilutes the impurities left in your stomach.
At least drink eight to 10 glasses of water throughout the day. You can also drink a few glasses of electrolyte-replenishing sports drinks. Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages, as they contribute to dehydration.
Honey is another good remedy for hangover symptoms. It is rich in potassium which helps to neutralize alcohol in the body. It also contains fructose, a type of sugar that helps metabolize the extra alcohol in the body.
- Take 2 or 3 teaspoons of honey at one-hour intervals until the hangover symptoms are reduced.
- You can also take honey with toast many times a day.
4. Egg and Toast
Eating eggs with a few slices of plain toast is a good remedy to get rid of hangover symptoms. Toast contains starches which are a decent wellspring of recuperation supplements.
Additionally, the carbon in toast helps to dilute the impurities in the body due to alcohol. The egg gives cysteine that separates the liquor in the body and reduces the hangover symptoms.
- Also Read: How to Cure Acidity at Home
5. Tomato Juice
Another good home remedy to subsidize hangover side effects. Tomato juice contains fructose, a type of sugar that helps your body metabolize alcohol fast. It is also rich in vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that help to overcome the after-effects of drinking quickly.
- Take one glass of fresh tomato juice and add one teaspoon of each honey and lemon juice.
- You can also add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Drink this mixture in the morning to reduce hangover symptoms.
Ginger is a well-known natural ingredient to cure nausea and vomiting. It helps to metabolize alcohol and provide fast relief from a hangover.
- You can chew raw ginger throughout the day and ginger tea is also beneficial for a hangover cure.
- Take 4 to 6 slices of fresh ginger root and boil in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes.
- Strain this mixture and add the juice of one orange, half a lemon, and one-half cup of honey.
- Drink this mixture while it is still warm. Try to drink this mixture 3-4 times a day.
Another wonderful natural herb to cure hangovers at home. Peppermint is good for the digestion system which helps to cure hangover symptoms like tension, bloating, and nausea. It also boosts the detoxification process in the body.
- Take a few fresh leaves of peppermint and chew them throughout the day.
- You can prepare a cup of peppermint tea to get rid of a hangover fast.
- Take one teaspoon of dried peppermint to add in one cup of boiling water and steep it for 10 minutes.
Banana is a good remedy to regain the potassium lost because of excessive drinking. They very good resource for potassium. Banana also helps to soothe stomach pain and increase your energy level.
- After drinking at night eat one or two bananas with your breakfast.
- You can also drink a banana milkshake sweetened with honey to get rid of a hangover fast.
See: Loss of Appetite Reasons and Risk Factor
9. Vegetable Soup
After heavy drinking, you will feel tired and lack energy in the body. Vegetable soups are a good source of vitamins and minerals. It is additionally impeccable on the off chance that you are feeling extremely delicate and may battle to keep down strong foods.
- Eat a bowl of soup in the morning and 1 bowl before going to bed to reduce hangover symptoms.
10. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is one of the most effective ways to cure a hangover. It can cure an extremely bad hangover with ease. Oil pulling also helps remove harmful toxins from within the body.
- Take one tablespoon of coconut oil and swish it around your mouth and through your teeth.
- Keep doing this for 15 to 20 minutes and then spit it out.
- Wash your mouth with water.
- Do this remedy in the morning with an empty stomach before you even brush your teeth.
A hangover is a very common problem for people who drink alcohol. As we mentioned above that there is no medical treatment for this problem. We appreciate your feedback and suggestion. If you know of any remedy which we haven’t mentioned here please comment below. But the above remedy will help you cure a hangover fast at home.
You can also check: