How to stop frequent urination naturally? Is the need to urge pee disturbing your sleep? This may happen if you’re drinking too much and too close to bedtime. Or it may be a sign of an underlying health condition. Normally a healthy person on average goes to the toilet 4-8 times a day. If you are going more than 8 times you may suffer from some health condition. Most of the time, excessive or frequent urination is not a serious problem and can be stopped at home by natural and ayurvedic remedies.
Excessive or frequent urination is known as Polyuria in the medical term. Frequent urination may occur due to drinking too many fluids, especially those containing caffeine or alcohol.
Women during pregnancy often suffer from this condition, due to the enlarged uterus pressing on the bladder. A person on average urinates around 5 to 8 cups (1 to 1.8 litres) of urine in a day.
Around 10-13 million Americans suffer from overactive bladder, and it is not just the older population. People of all ages can have frequent urination problems.
Many adults experience an abnormal opening or obstruction in the urinary tract, which is known as functional bladder outlet obstruction.
How To Stop Frequent Urination At Night While Sleeping?
Excessive urination at night is a medical term known as Nocturia or polyuria Nocturia. The human body produces less urine at night which is more concentrated, This means if you are waking up more than 2 times at night it means you are suffering from an overactive bladder the night.
Frequent urination at night could happen to both males and females. Nocturia could be a sign of some underlying medical condition.
What Are The Risk Factors of Frequent Urination?
Most of the time frequent urination happens due to drinking too many fluids. Which is not a too serious problem. A study has suggested that people who urinate at least twice at night reduce their chances of bladder cancer. But if you are having excessive urination with the below symptoms you need medical attention.
- Blood in your urine
- Red or dark brown urine
- Painful urination
- Pain in your side, lower abdomen
- A strong urge to urinate
- Loss of bladder control
Causes of Frequent Urination in Men & Women
- The most common cause of frequent urination in women is pregnancy. During the early weeks of pregnancy, the uterus starts growing and put pressure on the bladder which causes excessive urination.
- Prostate problems are a very common cause of frequent urination in men. An enlarged prostate can press against the urethra and block the flow of urine. Which leads to discomfort in the bladder. The bladder begins to react even when it contains small amounts of urine which cause more frequent urination.
Other causes of frequent urination may include:
- Drinking too many fluids like caffeine or alcohol.
- Diuretic Medications
- Stroke, or other neurological diseases
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- Kidney stone or Infection
- Tumour in the pelvic area
- Interstitial cystitis
- Overactive bladder syndrome
- Bladder Cancer
- Urinary incontinence
- Involuntary bladder contractions
- Bladder dysfunction
How To Stop Frequent Urination? – 10 Effective Home Remedies
If you are suffering from the frequent urination, there are many natural remedies you can try at home. Changing your lifestyle and diet can help you to get rid of overactive bladder. Stop smoking or drinking alcohol, regulate your fluid intake and also avoid drinking coffee, tea or other caffeinated soft drinks. Follow below remedies and stop going to pee a lot.
Pumpkin seeds appear to be very effective in treating overactive bladder, a condition that causes a sudden urge to urinate and can sometimes result in mild urinary incontinence.
This natural remedy is very effective for women suffering from frequent urination. The chemicals present in the pumpkin seed cause an increase in urination (diuretic effect), which helps relieve overactive bladder.
- Eating a handful of roasted pumpkin seeds is recommended.
- You can eat whole seeds straight from the pumpkin.
- First, you separate them from the pulp and rinse off the sticky residue.
2. Pomegranate Paste
The skin of the pomegranate is a wonderful remedy for frequent urination. For people who are suffering from frequent urination at night while sleeping, pomegranate skin paste works as an effective medicine.
- Make a fine paste from the skin of a pomegranate.
- Add a pinch of it to water and consume it twice daily.
3. Roasted Horse Gram
Horse gram is a good source of calcium molybdenum, iron, and polyphenols, which helps to stop frequent urination.
- Take a few grams of roasted horse gram and have it with jaggery for a week.
4. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are rich in natural nutrients that can effectively cure overactive bladder (OAB). It is a powerful diuretic and consuming fenugreek seeds daily can help to get rid of frequent urination.
If you are suffering from frequent urination due to diabetes, Indian gooseberry can help you to control excessive urination.
- Make a fine powder of dry ginger, bishop weed seeds, and fenugreek seeds.
- Mix this powder with honey or water.
- Take this powder twice a day for better results.
5. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are another good source of minerals, vitamins, and fibres. It also has an antioxidant property that helps to balance less or excessive urine flow.
- Mix sesame seeds with jaggery and eat them several times a day to control frequent urination.
- You can also mix carom seeds, black sesame seeds, and jaggery and eat this mixture for a few days.
Boiled spinach is a very effective home remedy to stop frequent urination at night. It also helps to maintain your urine flow.
- Eat boiled spinach for dinner to get rid of an overactive bladder problem at the night.
- You can also mix spinach juice with coconut water and drink it twice a day for better results.
7. Indian Gooseberry, Honey, and Banana
Indian gooseberry is also known as Amla. It works as an anti-oxidants which helps in cleaning your bladder and improving the strength of its muscle.
- Crush the Indian gooseberry or grate it after deseeding. Extract the juice by pressing it against a sieve or in a clean cloth.
- Add unprocessed sugar and honey to the freshly extracted amla juice and mix well.
- Eat this mixture with a banana. Take this remedy 2-4 times a day to stop frequent urination problems.
Another effective and simplest remedy to stop frequent urination. Yoghurt contains bacteria named Lactobacillus acidophilus which helps to prevent and cure frequent urination.
- Eat 1-2 bowls of plain yoghurt every day for better results.
- Avoid eating flavoured yoghurt because they contain sweeteners as well as other artificial agents and do not contain beneficial bacteria.
Basil has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties which help to improve the immune system and kill the infection. It helps to cure the infection in the bladder and treat frequent urination.
- Extract two teaspoon of juice from fresh basil leaves and mix with one teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this mixture daily in the morning empty stomach until you get rid of your overactive bladder.
Cumin is a very beneficial natural remedy for urinary problems and also it has a very wide range of medical qualities. It is a very good source of iron which helps to fight infection and revitalizes the body.
It prevents and cures all type of urinary tract infection and help to maintain urinary flow.
- Take one teaspoon of cumin and boil in one cup of water for 2-3 minutes.
- Let it cool down and strain it.
- Drink this tea twice a day until you get relief from frequent urination.
Frequent Urination Treatment in Ayurveda
Excessive urination problem is very common in children and old people. Allopathic medicines control this disease for some time, but they do not offer any permanent solution to the problem. Ayurveda gives you the right treatment for this health condition.
- Reetha (Soapnut) Powder – Take 1/2 gm of soapnut seeds powder with fresh water twice a day. This ayurvedic remedy will stop frequent urination within a week.
- Black Sesame – Take black sesame 50 grams, Oregano 25 grams, mix both and make a fine powder. Add 65 grams of jaggery to the powder and take 5 gm of this ayurvedic medicine twice a day.
- Turmeric and Sesame – Take 2 grams of each turmeric and sesame powder, and add 4 grams of jaggery to the mixture. Take this ayurvedic remedy with lukewarm water twice a day. This is a very good treatment for the problem of excess urination.
- Nisakadakadi Kvath – This Baba Ramdev ayurvedic Patanjali medicine is a beneficial overactive bladder and helps to control urine flow. Take 15 ml of this with 60 ml of warm water before having a meal twice a day to Stop Frequent urination.
You can also check: