How to Cure Dengue Fever at Home? Dengue is a type of yellowish fever, which is caused by a virus. This virus is transmitted to people by female mosquitoes known as the Female Aedes Mosquito. There are four types of dengue virus DEN 1, DEN 2, DEN 3 and DEN 4. Dengue is one of the widest-spread virus diseases, which affects 50 million to 500 million people around the world.
There is no particular medicine or antibiotic for dengue. In 2016 medical science developed a vaccine for dengue, which is used in tropical areas of the world. Due to the lack of a formalized cure, natural remedies are an effective treatment for Dengue fever cure at home.
It can affect all age groups of people. Dengue is not a contagious disease. It’s not spread from one person to another person. The incubation period for dengue fever is four to fifteen days. This endemic disease mostly occurs in tropical areas of the world and the number of infected people increases every year. In 2015, 10,000 to 15,000 people in New Delhi founded positive for the dengue virus, which causes around over 150 deaths.
Highly affected regions in the world are:
- The Indian subcontinent
- Southeast Asia
- Southern China
- The Caribbean (except Cuba and the Cayman Islands)
- Central and South America (except Chile, Paraguay, and Argentina)
This disease is also known as “breakbone fever” or “dandy fever” because it can cause severe joint pain or muscle pain. Dengue may cause a patient Low Platelet Count. While 80-90% of dengue cases show normal symptoms, in 1% of cases, it could become very serious and fatal. There are two very serious forms of dengue-
- 1 What Is DHF? (Dengue hemorrhagic fever)
- 2 Dengue Shock Syndrome
- 3 Symptoms of Dengue Fever
- 4 Causes Of Dengue Fever
- 5 Risk Factors of Dengue Fever
- 6 How To Cure Dengue Fever? – 11 Useful Natural Remedies
- 7 Ayurvedic Remedies & Medicine for Dengue Fever
- 8 Dengue Fever Prevention (Precaution) Tips
What Is DHF? (Dengue hemorrhagic fever)
This is a very serious form of dengue, which can turn into fatal. DHF only happens to people, who are already exposed to dengue more than once. This form of dengue can cause bleeding from the Gums, nose, and skin.
In some cases, DHF can cause circulatory system failure, which turns into shock and the patient could lead to death. But with the help of proper medication and natural herbs dengue hemorrhagic fever can be treated.
Dengue Shock Syndrome
This is another serious form of Dengue fever, which can lead a patient to death. If the patient is aware of DSS symptoms, it becomes easy to treat. The main symptoms of DDS are pain in the abdomen and low blood pressure.
Symptoms of Dengue Fever
Dengue fever symptoms start 4-10 days after infection and could last for 14 days. You may feel the following symptoms:
- High Fever
- Severe Headache
- Pain in the back of the eyes
- Muscle pain or severe joint pain
- Skin rash, which mainly happens after 5-6 days of fever.
- Nose bleeding, easy bruising, and gums bleeding.
- Sore throat
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Loss of appetite
Causes Of Dengue Fever
Dengue fever is caused by any of the four viruses (DEN 1, DEN 2, DEN 3 and DEN 4), which are transmitted by mosquitoes. Female Aedes mosquito works as a vector for transmitting the disease and a vector carries a disease, without actually developing the disease itself.
Risk Factors of Dengue Fever
- Living or travelling in tropical or subtropical areas. Chances of getting dengue increase in tropical and subtropical areas such as The Indian subcontinent, Latin America, Taiwan, etc.
- Mosquito bite
- Already exposed to the dengue virus past increases your risk of having severe symptoms if you’re infected again.
Read: How to Get Rid of Mosquito Bites
How To Cure Dengue Fever? – 11 Useful Natural Remedies
As there is no formalized cure for this endemic disease, so natural remedies are very helpful to cure and prevent dengue fever. Below are effective homemade natural remedies for dengue fever treatment.
1. Papaya Leaves
Papaya Leaves are one of the most effective natural remedies to cure dengue fever. They are a good source of Vitamin C, which helps to strengthen the immunity system.
According to the Asian Institute of Science and Technology in Malaysia, papaya leaves help to increase the dengue platelet count in your body. The antioxidant property of papaya help to reduce stress and eliminates toxins from your body.
How to use papaya leaves for dengue Fever treatment?
- Papaya leaves juice – Extract juice from papaya leaves with the help of a pestle and mortar or by crushing them, strain the juice through a clean cloth. Drink 2-3 teaspoons of this juice twice a day for 4-5 days.
- Ripe papaya – Eat ripe papaya or drink papaya juice 2-3 times in a day for 2-3 weeks.
Also Read: Home Remedies for Swine Flu Cure
2. Barley Grass and Wheat Grass
Barley grass is another wonderful natural herb for dengue fever treatment. It helps to increase blood platelet count in the body by stimulating the production of haemoglobin and blood cells.
Wheatgrass contains a high amount of chlorophyll, which increases haemoglobin in the body.
Way to use:
- Barley Tea – Take 2 teaspoons of barley grass and steep them for 10 minutes in boiling water. Strain this mixture and drink twice a day until you get relief from dengue fever. Alternatively, you can eat barley grass.
- Wheatgrass juice – Extract half a cup of juice from wheatgrass and drink twice a day. You can add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to it.
3. Neem leaves
Neem is the oldest natural remedy for dengue fever cured at home. It has antifungal and analgesic properties, which help to fight infection and stimulate the immunity system.
Neem leaves increase platelet count and white blood cells in the body. It also helps to eliminate toxins from the body and improve the digestive system of the body.
Way to use:
- Neem Juice – Extract the juice of neem leaves and drink in the morning daily.
- Alternatively, you can eat 5-8 neem leaves in the morning.
See: How to cure Typhoid Fever Remedies
4. Indian gooseberry (Amla)
Indian gooseberry is a good source of Vitamin C, which increases the platelet count in the body. It is also good for the digestive system and the immune system.
Way to use:
- Indian Gooseberry Juice – Take 2-3 teaspoons of each Indian gooseberry juice and honey. Mix it well and drink it twice a day.
- Eat 3-4 fresh Indian gooseberries empty stomach in the morning.
- Eating pickles or jam made from fresh Indian gooseberries is a very helpful homemade remedy for dengue cure.
Pumpkin is another natural remedy for dengue prevention and cure. It contains Vitamin A, which stimulates platelet production in the body. Pumpkin also helps protein regulation in the body, which helps to maintain platelet count.
Way to take pumpkin:
- Pumpkin juice – Extract half glass of pumpkin juice and add one teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this home remedy twice a day until you get relief from dengue symptoms.
- You can add pumpkin to your diet, such as pumpkin soup, puree, and smoothies.
See: Jaundice Diet: Food to Eat & Avoid
6. Basil leaves
Consumption of basil leaves is a good way to improve your immune system and also helps to keep it functioning well. Basil essential oil massage protects you from a mosquito bite.
Way to use basil:
- Basil leaves team – Take 2-3 teaspoons of crushed basil leaves and let them boil in a cup of water for 10 minutes. Let this cool down and strain this mixture.
- Drinking basil tea once or twice a day is good to cure dengue fever.
- Chewing basil leaves is also very helpful in bringing down high fever without medicine.
7. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are a useful natural herb for dengue fever treatment and bring down the high temperature. It also improves your digestive and immune systems, which helps you to fight the dengue fever virus. It also helps to reduce muscle pain or abdominal pain.
Way to use:
- Fenugreek seeds tea – Take 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and boil for 15 minutes in one cup of water.
- Strain this mixture and drink once or twice a day.
Read: Home Remedies for Malaria Treatment
8. Orange Juice
Oranges are rich in Vitamin C and also have antioxidant properties, which help to get rid of dengue fever symptoms. It also stimulates the antibodies in the body and helps eliminate toxins.
Way to take:
- Orange Juice – Drink one glass of orange juice twice or thrice a day.
- You can also eat fresh oranges.
9. Coriander Leaves
Coriander has antibiotic properties, which help to improve your immunity system. It travels through veins and because of its antibiotic properties kills the bacteria in the body.
Way to use:
- Drink a half glass of coriander juice twice a day.
- You can extract juice from fresh coriander leaves.
10. Vitamin C
Consumption of vitamin C has a direct effect on your immunity system. It boosts your immunity system and eliminates toxins from the body. You can take naturally rich Vitamin C juices or can eat fresh fruit like oranges, strawberries, tomatoes, sprouts, etc.
11. Keep Your Body Hydrated
Mostly dengue fever patient suffers from dehydration. So drinking more water can protect you from dehydration. Drinking Juices and water not only keep you hydrated but is also beneficial in eliminating toxins. Coconut water is widely used in tropical areas for dengue fever treatment.
Ayurvedic Remedies & Medicine for Dengue Fever
In Ayurveda, dengue fever is known as Dandak Jwara. In the Indian subcontinent, Ayurveda is used to cure dengue fever for more than a century now. By using the below natural remedies you can cure dengue fever at home.
Giloy is very important widely used for dengue fever treatment in Ayurveda. It improves your immunity system and helps to maintain a metabolic rate. Giloy protects your body from infections and also increases the platelet count.
Take giloy leaves and boil for 15 minutes in a cup of water. Strain and drink this herb twice a day. You can also add Basil leaves (Tulsi Leaves) to this herbal drink. Drinking giloy juice is equally beneficial for this disease.
Alternatively, you can take giloy capsule in case you are not able to get giloy leaves.
This natural herb is widely used for making medicine. It helps to bring down the high temperature and provide relief from dengue fever quickly. It also eliminates harmful toxins from the body.
This herb also provides quick relief from dengue fever symptoms like chills, nausea, vomiting, and headaches.
3. Spirulina Capsules
Spirulina natural herb has antioxidant properties and contains a good amount of protein, which helps in improving the immunity system. Please consult with a doctor about its dosage.
Dengue Fever Prevention (Precaution) Tips
You can also prevent yourself and your family by following the below tips.
- Keep your surroundings clean
- Wear protective clothes from mosquitos.
- You can use natural mosquito repellents such as Lemon Eucalyptus Oil, Lavender, Neem Oil, and Cinnamon Oil.
- Take proper rest if you are suffering from dengue fever.
- Avoid taking antibiotics like Aspirin, Brufen, or others.
- Do not take steroids.
- Avoid junk and solid food if you are suffering from a fever.
- Take a more liquid diet for Dengue Prevention and Cure.
You can also check: