What is psoriasis and what does it look like? How To Cure Psoriasis? Psoriasis is a chronic skin disease that occurs due to the excessive growth of skin cells. New skin cells developed in a day instead of a week. Skin cells start piling up on the skin and cause patches.
They are thick, red, scaly patches on the skin. Psoriasis can occur on elbows, knees, scalp, palms, back, face, and feet but can occur in other parts of the body too. This is a long-lasting skin problem but you can cure psoriasis with a natural home remedy.
Psoriasis occurs when your immunity is not working properly. The cell turnover process takes months normally but during psoriasis, it takes only a day to complete. People with serious health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and stress are more at risk.
Psoriasis mainly occurs in people aged between 15-40 years, but it can occur at any age. It’s very rare but an infant can have psoriasis. Psoriasis is not a contagious skin disease.
What Are The Types Of Psoriasis?
There is mainly five types of psoriasis which include:
- Plaque Psoriasis – This is the most common and serious type of psoriasis. It can be painful, and itchy and some skin breaks up and bleed. Plaque psoriasis is red patches that are covered in a thick layer of dead skin cells. It mainly occurs on the knees, elbow, scalp, and lower back.
- Guttate Psoriasis – This type of psoriasis mainly occur in childhood or young adulthood. They are small, red dot-like spots on the skin. Guttate psoriasis can be triggered by respiratory infections, strep or a sore throat, tonsillitis, depression, some injury, and medications. It is the second most common type of psoriasis after plaque.
- Inverse Psoriasis – It mainly occurred at the fold parts of the body such as the armpit, under the breast, knee, and groin area. Inverse psoriasis is bright red in colour.
- Pustular Psoriasis – They are white psoriasis surrounded by red skin. This type of psoriasis consists of pus of white blood cells. Pustular mainly occurs on hands and feet but can appear on any part of the body.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis – This is a periodic type of psoriasis which is a fiery redness of the skin. It occurs because of psoriasis treatment, excessive sunburn, skin infection, and medications. This type of psoriasis required medical attention because if left untreated can lead to serious skin disease.
What are the Causes of Psoriasis?
Medical science is still unsure about the causes of psoriasis. But many researchers believe that this problem is related to the immunity system, genetic disorder, or could be a problem of T cells and other WBC (white blood cells) which are known as neutrophils.
Psoriasis may be triggered by a strep infection or skin infection. Other triggers may include:-
- Excessive sunburn
- Stress or depression
- Some kind of injury to the skull
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Lack of vitamin D
- Certain medications
What Are The Symptoms of Psoriasis? (Scalp, Leg or Hand)
- Red patches on the skin.
- Small red spots
- Burning sensation
- Swollen joints
- Thickened nails
- Bleeding Skin
- Loose Silvery Scales
How To Cure Psoriasis? – 10 Effective Home Remedies for Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a skin problem that occurs due to the overgrowth of cells. There is no particular reason behind why this occurs. This skin problem could be chronic. If you are already taking medication for psoriasis then check with your doctor before taking home remedies. Follow the below home remedy to treat psoriasis permanently at home.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel is an effective home remedy to treat psoriasis. It helps to control the redness and scaling due to psoriasis.
- You can apply fresh aloe vera gel to the affected area, Repeat this remedy three times a day.
- Alternatively, you can buy a cream from the medical store which contains 0.5 % aloe vera.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help to treat psoriasis. If you are allergic to tea tree oil do not use this remedy.
- Mix tea tree oil with your shampoo and wash your hair daily. It will help you to get rid of scalp psoriasis.
Another wonderful remedy to treat psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis flares. Turmeric has antioxidant, antibiotic, and anti-inflammatory properties which help in treating psoriasis.
- Take one teaspoon of turmeric every day with water.
- You can add turmeric to your food and consume it daily.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps to reduce itching and inflammation due to psoriasis. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat psoriasis at home. If you have open wounds or cracks do not use this remedy.
- Take raw apple cider vinegar and dip a cotton ball in it. Apply apple cider vinegar on the affected area twice a day.
- You can also dilute apple cider vinegar with water in a 1:1 ratio and apply it to your affected area.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a very good home remedy to stop itching immediately. It also helps to reduce inflammation due to psoriasis.
- Take 1 ½ cups of baking soda and mix with 3 gallons of water.
- Apply this mixture to the affected area with the help of a washcloth for instant relief.
6. Fish Oil
Psoriasis is related to the immune system and fish oil helps to improve the immunity system. It contains omega-3 fatty acids which help to treat this skin problem.
- Consume 3-10 grams of fish oil daily.
- Eat fish many times a week.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains many nutrients and enzymes which are very beneficial for the skin. This natural home remedy has antifungal and antibacterial properties. Coconut oil not only cures psoriasis but also helps to get rid of its symptoms like itching, redness, inflammation, etc.
- Take a warm bath and let the skin dry and soft.
- Now apply coconut oil to the affected area.
- Do this remedy every day until you get relief.
8. Argan Oil
Argan oil contains vitamin E and many fatty acids which not only cure skin rash, and eczema but also treat psoriasis.
- Take 3-5 drops of argan oil and mix with palm oil.
- Massage with this mixture gently on the affected area for 5 minutes.
- Then wash the affected area with water.
- Do this remedy once or twice a day until you get relief.
Chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties which help to cure psoriasis.
- Apply chamomile oil with the help of a cotton ball on the affected area.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day for quick relief.
10. Olive Oil
Another wonderful home remedy to cure psoriasis. Olive oil has a good amount of fatty acids and vitamin E.
- Apply extra virgin olive oil on the affected area twice a day.
- It will help to remove dead cells from the skin by making the skin softer.
How to Prevent Psoriasis from Spreading?
- Keep your skin moist with the help of moisturizers.
- Take a healthy diet full of nutrients and protein.
- Avoid taking medicine which contains lithium, Propranolol, etc.
- Do exercise and yoga to reduce stress.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid junk food.
- Try not to sleep in the afternoons.
Permanent Cure for Psoriasis in Ayurveda (Medicine)
Ayurveda is an Indian ancient medical practice that is developed to cure health problems. Many researchers have found that ayurvedic treatment for psoriasis is proven very effective. In India, Ayurvedic medicine and its process originated 3000 years back.
In Ayurveda, Psoriasis occurs due to two doshas- Vata and Kapha. Before using ayurvedic medicine you need to make some dietary changes. Ayurvedic medicine is more effective when you avoid non-vegetarian food. You should also avoid food that is spicy, salty, or acidic.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Psoriasis Treatment
- Sesame Seeds – Soak 15-20 sesame seeds in a cup of water. Leave it overnight then drink this Sesame water empty stomach in the morning. Repeat this remedy until you get rid of psoriasis.
- Bitter Gourd Juice – Extract 1-2 cups of fresh bitter gourd juice and drink empty stomach in the morning. Repeat this remedy for 5-6 months. You can add one tablespoon of lemon juice if you don’t like the taste.
Yoga for Psoriasis Treatment
Psoriasis can occur due to stress, and stress can happen due to psoriasis flare-ups. Managing stress can provide you relief from psoriasis. Stress can affect your body in many ways, including increasing inflammation. Inflammation can also cause psoriasis, or make this disease more serious if you already have one.
Yoga is an effective way to manage stress and there are many yoga asanas which you can perform at home. Perform the below yoga to get rid of psoriasis. You can watch videos of all yoga asanas on youtube.
- Half waist rotation pose (Ardha Kati Chakrasana)
- Half wheel pose (Ardha chakra asana)
- Standing forward bend (Padhastasana)
- Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
Psoriasis is a skin disease that occurs because of the overgrowth of skin cells. This can be a very serious health condition and long-lasting. The exact cause of this problem is yet to find but mainly it occurs because of malfunction of the immunity system. Follow the above Home remedies to get rid of Psoriasis from the neck, feet, hands, and other parts of the body. If you have any other home remedy which we forget to mention write in the comment box below.
You can also check: