The leg press machine is a very convenient workout machine one would find in any gym. This machine helps people to carry out their leg exercises. When you try to counter the weight with the help of the legs on the legs, your quadriceps experience stretching. This stretching and contacting action on the quadriceps improves the muscle power of the legs and also burns extra calories.
While this leg press machine is useful workout equipment, it is very important to learn how to use this machine in the correct manner, as failure to do so may lead to some serious muscle tears and other injuries. Our article’s step-step guide for effective workouts on a leg press machine will definitely be useful to you.
Ways to Use a Leg Press Machine
The leg press machine is used to increase the strength of the legs. This machine is handy when appropriately used in the right manner. If you are not particular about the method and technique in using a leg press machine, not only would you be injured, but you would also not see any visible results. Therefore, it is necessary to use a leg press machine in a right and effective manner. Before you start reading ahead, please ensure you get a full medical check-up by a doctor. Exercise equipment should not be used lightly. In case of any aches or pains, please contact a doctor at the earliest.
Following are the various ways and techniques one must use while exercising with a leg press machine:
- The first step you need to follow is to sit down on the machine. You will see a platform in front of you at a medium level. Place your legs comfortably on the platform in front of you, with your knees bent at 90 degrees.
- Now that you have placed yourself correctly on the machine, the next thing you need to do is to lower the safety bars holding the platform which is weighted and press the platform until your legs are fully extended in front of you and you feel the pressure. Make sure you do not lock your knees while pressing the platform since it may lead to a severe injury.
- While inhaling, slowly lower down the platform until your lower and upper legs make an angle of 90 degrees.
- Push the platform with the help of the heels of your feet and using the quadriceps go back to the starting position while exhaling.
- Repeat this process several times as instructed by your trainer.
Precautions to be taken while using a leg press machine
There is no doubt that a leg press machine is handy and helps to gain strength and lose unwanted fat from the thighs and legs. But it is also evident that in the case of misuse it may cause severe muscle injury or internal cramps. Therefore, it is crucial to take protective measures while using the leg press machine.
Following are some of the precautions that you need to take care of while using a leg press machine:
- Take control of your breathing. Breathe in as the weight is lowered and breathe out when you push the weight.
- Consider the weight you are using with the platform; make sure you can manage it.
- Always check that you have locked the platform while you rack the weight.
- Do not perform this exercise if you have any muscle injury or are suffering from fatigue or low energy levels.
There is no doubt that a leg press machine can help you with weight training exercises at your gym and other exercise areas. It is a useful machine that can be used by men and women to get good physical health and increased strength. This machine should be used with proper care and protection.
It is advised to use it under the tutelage and guidance of a certified trainer or someone who knows the details of the machine. Read the manual provided with the machine to know more about it. Consider the necessary precautions before using it and also make sure that you are using it in the right manner with the perfect techniques.
It is very essential to check for your posture and alignment with the leg press machine before going for some exercises on it. Do not hurry up while switching from one exercise to the other. Proper knowledge about the precautions to be taken when using this machine can help you to work out comfortably and safely.
After all, safety comes first, so be very careful and follow all guidelines religiously while performing any exercise on the leg-press machine. For more help, you can refer to our article regarding all the necessary precautions to be taken while using a leg-press machine. And after using a leg-press machine, if you feel some muscle pain or any stretching effect immediately visit the doctor.