The Benefits of Moisturizers5 April 2017
Men and women today have become health and appearance conscious. Many use good quality products on the skin to get excellent results daily. Most people have some form of a regimen that they follow concerning their skin and treatments. Women tend to have a stricter skin treatment regime than men, but this trend has been slowly changing over the past few decades. Men and women today invest in expensive skin products like face washes, toners, moisturizers, sun block creams, gels, scrubs, and so on.
While it is beneficial to keep yourself clean and use a body wash, soap, and acne face wash regularly, it is prudent to concentrate on moisturizing and maintaining good health of the skin. Just focusing on using a face wash will not help you get the desired skin you want. Moisturizers have significant benefits for our skin. They support the skin to protect itself from outside elements and retain its moisture. Apart from this, moisturizers also help preserve firmer and more youthful looking skin over long periods of time.
There are different moisturizers available for different parts of the body. Facial moisturizers are meant to be used only on the face, hand moisturizers on your hands, foot creams and moisturizers on your feet, and body lotions and moisturizers only on your body. Similarly, eye creams and eye gels are just meant to be used on your under-eyes and your eyelids.
Skin Type and Selection:
Skin types differ according to different body styles and parts. Always select moisturizers based on your specific skin type. The skin types are normal, dry, oily, sensitive, and mature.
- Normal skin types have a well-maintained balance between oily and dry. This type of skin type may also be classified as Combination skin (sometimes oily, sometimes dry). This skin type needs a water-based light moisturizer for daily use on the body and face.
- Dry skin types have specific places on the body that are dry and might be itchy. Many times, dry skin also causes the skin to crack and bleed which might cause severe pain and discomfort. These skin types need heavier oil-based moisturizers to keep the skin hydrated at all times.
- Oily skin types have patches of oily skin in certain areas. This type of skin is prone to acne breakouts on the face, back, shoulders, arms, and thighs. Oily skin needs regular moisturizer after showers and baths to replenish the water balance. Oily skin needs light water-based moisturizers that have to be rubbed into the affected areas.
- Sensitive skin is prone to get irritated red patches and might turn itchy and allergic to certain substances or products. Always select a good quality moisturizer without fragrances and dyes for sensitive skin.
- Mature skin is skin that has aged as the year’s progress. Oil producing glands slow down, and the skin gets dry over the course of time. Mature skin should be treated with oil-based moisturizers with antioxidants to replenish it.
It is best to buy a moisturizer for the face and body with a slight content of SPF (Sun Protecting Factor) that helps fight the signs of the sun on the skin. A good moisturizer that has SPF will regularly protect your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays. It will also shield and protect you from ultraviolet radiation that can harm your health. With regular exposure to the sun, the skin shows signs of aging, wear and tear, and sun damage. Excessive exposure can also run the risk of skin cancer. Select the best moisturizer according to your skin type.
Wash your face with a good face wash or use a facial scrub before you sleep at night and when you wake up the next morning. After you pat your skin dry, apply moisturizer in concentric circles to your facial skin and body ensuring that the moisturizer is completely absorbed into your skin. Repeat this process after your shower or bath.
Once you have applied the moisturizer on to your facial and body skin, wait at least 5 minutes before using any other product or makeup on your skin to allow complete replenishment.
Eye creams and Moisturizers:
Repeat the same process in selection and application of eye creams, eye gels, and moisturizers to revitalize your under-eye skin. Since the skin around the eyes is delicate, be gentle while you massage the product into your skin. In case of hand creams, use liberally throughout the day to restore the moisture and balance to your hands and arms.