Pregnancy is a blessing for a woman but it brings so much discomfort with it. A pregnant woman’s body goes through many changes physical and hormonal. You will feel the change in mood, continuous vaginal discharge, nausea, vomiting, etc. While you are facing all these changes in your body suddenly you will start feeling toothache which also may be because of your pregnancy.
Many women suffer from a toothache during pregnancy. It is a very common health issue that can be treated by safe home remedies for toothache while pregnant.
Now, let’s discuss some of the most suitable home remedies for toothache during pregnancy in detail.
- 1 What Causes Toothache During Pregnancy?
- 2 10 Incredible Home Remedies for Toothache During Pregnancy
- 3 Final Words
- 4 FAQs
What Causes Toothache During Pregnancy?
Toothache during pregnancy can occur because of multiple reasons. Sometimes you may have a toothache that is not related to your pregnancy. So it is very important to take care of your teeth. You should brush and floss your teeth regularly to avoid toothache.
- During pregnancy, a woman goes through heavy hormone changes which may lead to tooth pain and also make gum more sensitive.
- A pregnant woman produces less amount of saliva which leads to gum infection and teeth irritation. Change in the hormone also changes the color and texture of saliva. A pregnant woman’s saliva is more acidic.
- A wisdom toothache during pregnancy can also cause problems.
10 Incredible Home Remedies for Toothache During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a very special experience that comes with lots of challenges. During pregnancy, the woman’s body goes through many changes and these changes might affect her teeth.
Many women suffer from tooth pain during pregnancy and they are afraid to go to the dentist. There are many safe home remedies that can help you with tooth pain and can easily avoid your visit to the doctor.
One of the oldest home remedies to get rid of Toothache while Pregnant. The anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties of cloves help to provide fast relief from a toothache during pregnancy.
- Take two-three cloves and ground them. Now mix the grounded cloves with olive oil and massage your teeth with your finger. Leave it there for at least 15 minutes. Use this remedy a few times a day to get fast relief.
- Take half glass of water and add a few drops of clove oil. Now rinse your mouth with this mixture for 5 minutes. Repeat this remedy 3 times a day until you get relief from the sore tooth.
- You can also apply clove oil on the painful tooth with your finger or cotton ball.
Thyme is a very safe and effective home remedy to get rid of tooth pain during pregnancy. It has antioxidant and bacterial properties.
- Take half a cup of water and add a few drops of thyme oil.
- Now apply this mixture to your teeth with the help of a cotton ball or rinse yours for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a day to get fast relief.
3. Salt Water
One of the easiest and very simple methods to reduce teeth pain during pregnancy. Salt is a good way to maintain your oral hygiene.
It helps to improve saliva in your mouth and reduce harmful bacteria. It also cures any gum infection and reduces teeth sensitivity.
- Take a cup of warm water and add ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Rinse your mouth with salt water for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 3-4 times a day until you get relief.
Garlic is a very effective and safe home remedy for toothache during pregnancy in the third trimester. It has antibacterial and antioxidant properties which help to improve gums’ health. Using garlic also helps to cure plaque and reduce tooth pain very fast.
- You can chew a small piece of fresh garlic for 5 minutes. Repeat this remedy twice a day.
- Prepare a paste of garlic and salt then apply on your affected tooth with the help of a cotton dab.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day.
5. Tea Tree Oil
One of the most effective natural home remedies for tooth pain and gum problems. It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties which help to cure toothache and gum bleeding during pregnancy.
- Prepare a mouthwash by mixing four drops of tea tree oil in half a cup of water.
- Rinse your mouth with this natural mouthwash 3 times a day.
6. Cold Compass
If you are having tooth pain during pregnancy and are afraid of taking painkillers or antibiotics then apply a cold compass to get relief fast. Applying a cold compass also help to reduce swelling due to wisdom tooth during pregnancy.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a towel and place them on the affected area for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a day to get relief from pain.
Basil is a wonderful natural herb that helps to cure many health issues and also helps with a toothache. This remedy has antibacterial and antibiotic properties that help in treating gum disease.
- You can chew some fresh leaves of basil to get relief from tooth pain.
- You can also prepare a paste of basil leaves and peppercorns. Apply this paste on the affected tooth 2-3 times a day.
Turmeric is normally used as a beauty product to enhance skin tone but due to its anti-bacterial and antibiotic properties, it can be used to stop tooth pain during pregnancy. This natural remedy will help to cure gum infections.
- Make a paste of turmeric powder and water. Apply this paste on the affected tooth for 15 minutes then wash your mouth with water. Use this remedy 2-3 times a day until you get relief from pain.
- Take a piece of fresh turmeric and peel off the skin. Now soak the piece of turmeric in alcohol for a week. Then use this as a mouthwash to cure a toothache.
Onion is a very good home remedy to cure toothache during pregnancy. It has anti-bacterial, and antiseptic properties which makes it a good remedy for tooth pain and gum infection.
- You can chew some fresh onion to get rid of the pain.
- If you are not able to chew it because of pain then just place the piece of onion on your affected teeth.
10. Guava Leaves
Many will be surprised to know that guava leaves are a wonderful home remedy to stop toothache very fast. They contain antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties which help to provide relief in tooth pain.
- You can chew the fresh leaves of guava when you feel tooth pain.
- You can also prepare mouthwash by boiling 7-8 leaves of guava in a cup of water for 5 minutes. Then let it cool down and rinse your mouth for 5 minutes.
Toothache During Pregnancy: When to See A Doctor While Pregnant
Pregnancy is very complicated and a woman has to go through lots of changes in her body. So when a woman has a toothache during pregnancy she worries a lot to go to a dentist. Having a basic dentist treatment is no harm to you and your baby.
During the first trimester, pregnant women feel too much morning sickness so that is not a good time to visit a doctor. If you have a severe toothache visit your dentist in the second trimester and third trimesters which is a safe time to see a doctor.
Toothache during pregnancy is very common because of hormonal changes, morning sickness which leads to poor oral hygiene, and other changes a woman goes through during pregnancy. Visiting a dentist is not recommended during the first trimester. A woman can dentist in the third trimester which is a safer time for a pregnant woman.
Using natural home remedies to get rid of toothache during pregnancy is a far better treatment than going to a dentist. leave your feedback and suggestion in the comment box.
1. Does toothache affect an unborn child?
Ans: You should not take a toothache lightly during pregnancy. This may cause severe discomfort and can affect your unborn child. So it is suggested to take proper care for a slight infection too.
2. How can I sleep with a toothache during pregnancy?
Ans: The most perfect way to sleep with a toothache during pregnancy is to sleep with your head elevated. Prop up a few pillows to prevent blood flow from rushing to your head, which will in turn make your toothache worse.
3. Can I extract a tooth during pregnancy?
Ans: Extractions can happen at any point of time in your pregnancy but the perfect time is the second trimester.
You can also check: